18 Sept 2013

Guest Post #7: AMY'S PLUM AND ROSE CLAFOUTIS

as I am currently in the process of moving in and starting uni, I have found some lovely guest bloggers to take over for me until I'm all settled. today's guest blogger is Amy who blogs over at The Fresh Fresher, she's one of my favourite food bloggers and I'm really happy to have her over here today sharing a recipe with us.


East Meets West: Individual Plum and Rose Clafoutis
By Amy, aka The Fresh Fresher


The traditional French version of this dish calls for cherries, sugar and oodles of butter, but my inspiration for these flavours is, believe it or not, Polish. 

A long time ago a friend of mine gave me a piece of her Polish mother’s plum cake – a brown, fairly boring looking thing, it has to be said. But when I tasted it I could not believe all the sharp fruitiness tucked away inside. It was soft, spongy and subtle, unlike some British fruit cakes. Baked plums have been a go-to dessert for me ever since. It is amazing how only ten minutes of heat can completely transform this classic summer fruit into a tart and semi-healthy pudding.

I’d like to tell you that the inclusion of rose water has some inspiring back-story to it as well, but really it was just a gut feeling. I’m pretty glad I went with it!

The French origins of this recipe might make it sound complicated, but by cooking the clafoutis in portions is takes hardly any time at all. The clafoutis is really just a gooey pancake, after all (but don’t tell the French I said that). As a balanced fast-food blogger I know how to keep my cooking lazy, and trust me – if I can do it, so can you!


Plum and Rose Clafoutis (serves 2)

1 ripe plum, halved
2 free range eggs
20g caster sugar
1 tsp rosewater
2 tsp plain flour
Pinch of salt
A little butter for greasing

1. Preheat the oven to 200c. Lightly grease two ramekins or small oven-proof dishes and dust with a little flour. Place the plum halves cut-side down in each.

2. In a bowl whisk together the eggs and the sugar until you can no longer see granules in the mixture. Sieve in the flour and pinch of salt and whisk again until smooth. Pour the mixture evenly between the two dishes.

3. Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the top looks completely set. Sprinkle with the rosewater and serve with an extra dusting of icing sugar or a little cream.


thank you very much for your post Amy, I hope you all enjoyed this post, make sure to check out Amy's blog over at The Fresh Fresher, you can also find her on twitter here.

No comments: