18 Jun 2013

#40 BROCCOLI COURGETTE AND MINT SOUP

soups are something that aren't a regular part of my diet, they're just one of those things that never come to my mind when I think about what to make. there are probably two reasons for this, one is that soups are somehow seen as a starter over here, something you have before an actual meal and I really don't tend to make starters and desserts at home when I'm just cooking for me and my mum. also I do quite like to have something a bit more substantial so I'd be in danger of eating loads of bread with my soup which really isn't that big a deal but I just don't see the point either.

however, for some reason I did find myself fancying soup also because I read this post and it reminded me how me and my mum used to have courgette soup a lot when I was younger. I still had half a broccoli left in my fridge which I needed to use anyway so I went and got a fresh courgette, grabbed some mint from the balcony and this soup was born. it's definitely not a difficult thing to make and it's really quick too. also with all the lovely veg in it it's actually quite filling especially if you eat it with some whole grain bread like I did and you don't need more than a slice of it. also with the mint I find it's a lovely soup for summertime, we usually see soups as wintery food but I do find it gives energy which I really do need all year around. 

what I love
this is also great because you can easily just make more of it and put it in the fridge for a few days and warm some up when you need it. really great if you don't have the time to keep every day but still want something healthy and lovely. it's also definitely something for a student budget as really you don't need many things at all and none of them are expensive at all. also, you could definitely make this with cream to make it a bit more hearty, but making it with almond milk like I did makes it a lot lighter and you'll end up with a filling but light meal.



Broccoli Courgette & Mint Soup
for 2-4 people
1 courgette
1/2 head of broccoli
1/2 onion
5-7 fresh mint leaves
100 ml almond milk
1 L vegetable stock
salt

you'll start by chopping up all the veg while heating up some coconut fat in a large pan (basically big enough to hold all the soup afterwards). throw all the veg in your pan and stir fry for about 5 minutes. then add your vegetable stock, make sure all your veg is covered, if not, add a bit more water. then leave that to simmer at a low heat for about 10-15 minutes. make sure your veg is soft, if not leave it for a bit longer.

once it's all soft and lovely, chop up your mint leaves and add about half of them to the soup, then get your hand held blender and blend away until it's as smooth as you want it to be (I personally don't mind a few veg pieces left in there). if you don't have a hand held one you can just use your regular blender aswell, I just find it easier that way. after blending it you can add your almond milk and salt to taste. 

to finish it off, grate up some courgette and garnish your soup with that and the rest of the chopped mint, et voila! a lovely fresh summer soup!


tip: enjoy with some whole grain bread and cottage cheese, the creamy-ness goes so well with the soup! also, serving it on a plate with flowers on it makes it even more summer-y!



I hope you enjoyed this recipe! what are your favourite soups? do you think soups are any good for summer? let me know in the comments!

Magdalena.

1 comment:

bethan said...

This is my favourite type of soup! Light and refreshing. I might have to whack out the old soup maker this evening and give it a go...

http://audacityoffood.blogspot.co.uk/