9 Sept 2012

#11 MY CHICKEN KORMA



Chicken Korma is probably my favourite indian dish so of course I had to learn how to make it myself.
I first made it about half a year ago but I have improved it since so I think it's ready for public. I'm probably gonna improve the recipe again and I'll just post it again then.

things like indian food are always something you never think you can make at home. well I used to think that anyway. but I just wanted to try it and I realised that it is really not that difficult to make it at home. of course it doesn't taste exactly like what you get in an indian restaurant but it is still really nice and just something to add to those dishes you make for yourself or your family.

the only thing about it is that it isn't difficult to make but it still takes some time. 
you don't have to spend that much time in the kitchen but you need to prepare the chicken the day before and ideally leave the whole thing to simmer for a while to bring out the whole taste. so it's a good thing for the weekend.
and it's a summer and a winter dish because it keeps you warm in the winter but it's still fresh and coconut-y for the summer. I just love it!

for everyone who likes it spicy, just use one chili instead of the red pepper I used. I use red pepper because I don't like it that spicy but red pepper gives it a sweet taste and adds some colour to it.

I hope you'll love this dish as much as I do.


Chicken Korma
500 g chicken breast
250 g greek yogurt
2-3 gloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 handfull mint
1 onion
1/2 red pepper (or chilli)
1/2 tbsp veg. oil/coconut fat
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
400 ml coconut milk
150 ml water/ground almonds
1 tbsp almond puree
1/2 lemon (juice)

chop the mint, mince the garlic and mix with
the yogurt in a bowl.
slice the chicken to bite-size pieces
and mix with the yogurt marinade.
cover the bowl and marinate
in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
ideally leave in the fridge overnight.

finely chop the onion and the red pepper and puree.
heat the oil/fat in a large pan/wok and add
the spices (turmeric, garam masala)
and stir fry over low heat for about a minute.

turn up the heat, add the onion and red pepper
paste and stir fry for anohter 5-ish minutes.

then add the chicken and marinade and
stir fry for another 10 minutes.

add the coconut milk and the water
to cover the chicken.
stir in the almond puree/ground almonds.
lower the heat and cover the pan.
leave to simmer for at least 40 minutes
(it gets better the longer you leave it)

before serving, add lemon juice and salt.

serve with rice and/or naan bread.





Magdalena.


LIKE me on facebook to be the first to know about recipe updates.

1 comment:

TastefullyJulie said...

I love chicken Korma, too! It's very similar to Butter Chicken but even creamier, I think. Thanks!