12 Sept 2012

#12 LEMON AND SAGE CHICKEN WITH MEDITERRANEAN COCONUT RICE




Yesterday I went for breakfast with a friend in town at Freiblick which is a really nice place on the roof of a big department store here.
I had a really lovely breakfast with egg, ham, muesli, and vegetables so I was quite full and decided not to have anything for lunch, I wouldn't have been able to anyway.

but knowing myself I knew I would be hungry again in the evening. plus there was football on (Austria-Germany) and I always need food for football.
so I knew I had to find something but as I was full for most of the day I only really started thinking about it late in the afternoon (I can't really be creative when I'm full).
I decided to go to the shop and let the stuff there inspire me, which is a bad thing for some people because then they just buy everything they would like. but somehow it really works for me and I ended up getting a chicken breast, two corn on the cobs and some yogurt for the tzatziki I'm probably going to make tomorrow (greek day!).

back at home I still couldn't decide what exactly to do with the chicken and whether I would make rice or pasta as a side dish. all I knew is that I was going to do the corn on the cob in the oven (which turned out lovely by the way!).

I knew I wanted to make something with sage because I just love the taste especially with chicken or pasta in the summer. and standing in the kitchen I knew I wanted rice and I had some coconut milk left from when I made the chicken korma so I wanted to use that too. 

and this dish here is basically what I created. it sounds a lot more fancy than it is, but I just didn't know what to call it basically. enjoy the recipe. it's really easy to make too and you don't even need that much for it.


Lemon and Sage Chicken
with Mediterranean Coconut Rice
(2 servings)
for the chicken
250 g chicken breast (cut about 6 medallions)
1/2 lemon (juice)
1 glove of garlic
6 leaves of sage
1 tbsp oil
4 tbsp flour

for the rice
200 g rice
1/2 courgette (yellow or green)
1/2 red pepper
100 ml coconut milk
5 leaves fresh mint
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp oil

prepare a marinate by juicing the lemon
and mixing it with minced garlic.
marinate the chicken pieces for
about 1 hour in the fridge.

melt the butter in a pot and add the rice,
add water (1 1/2 of the amount of rice)
and lower heat to boil the rice.

in the meantime, finely chop the
courgette and the pepper
to make thin strips.
heat oil in a pan and stir fry the
vegetables for about 5 minutes.

chop the mint and add to the vegetables.
add coconut milk and set aside.

once the rice is done, add it to the pan
with the vegetables and set aside.

take the chicken out of the fridge
and heat oil in a non-sticky pan.
roll the chicken pieces in the flour.
first, fry the pieces of sage
in the pan for about 30 seconds
to develop flavour.
after that, put the pieces
of chicken on top of the sage leaves
and fry in the hot pan for about
3-4 minutes each side (until golden brown)

serve the tender chicken with the coconut rice.

et voila! bon apetit!






Magdalena.








2 comments:

Judith Audu Blog said...

This looks so beautiful and i bet it taste great too! would try it out. Nice one!

TastefullyJulie said...

That rice looks beautiful and delicious!