25 May 2013

Blog Every Day in May: Music Love

'What are your top 5 favourite albums and why?'

I love music which means I was really looking forward to writing this post. we're asked to share our top 5 albums and I thought I'd share the albums and also pick my favourite song from the album so if you don't know the band you can get a little idea what they're like.
I am very me when it comes to music you will hardly find me listening to the radio just because 99 % of the songs they play are nothing I would ever listen to and you will certainly find me pulling a face when I'm out in a pub and they're playing music I don't like. I'm certainly not one to love what's mainstream which doesn't mean that the bands I like can't be well known because some of them certainly are but when it comes to the style of music I'm not usually one to sing along to the usual gaga pop tunes. I didn't want to choose a favourite so I just sorted them by year and I'll tell you why I love them so much.

R.E.M. - Up (1998)
this is the band that has been one of my favourites for literally all my life as my mum always listened to them when I was little. and up until now they are something I always go back to and there is so much to go back to indeed. having released 15 studio albums it's not easy to choose my favourite but UP is definitely the one I spent the most time listening to and there are some brilliant songs there. for those who only know 'losing my religion' this is definitely something worth listening to. R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe is definitely one of my favourite artists ever and in my opinion the best song writer. I also went to see them live in 2006 which was an amazing first gig experience for little me.

Walk Unafraid
when I think of R.E.M. I think of this song and how me and my mum used to sing it very loudly on every car journey. it's amazing and so positive and different from what everyone else might think R.E.M. is.



Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (2008)
this was released ten years after R.E.M. and I can't believe it's been out that long already, crazy. I fell in love with this album when I first listened to it and it definitely became my favourite summer tune that year. Vampire Weekend have also just released a new album which from what I can say is pretty amazing and definitely worth a listen too. I chose this one however, because I know it better and it's the album that introduced me to the band (as it was their first, ha!). they definitely make every day feel like the nicest summer day, so if you're sick of rain definitely give them a listen.

Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
it just sounds so positive and when I listen to it I just can't help but feel like jumping around the room and getting ready for something. also really good music to listen to in the morning.



Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You (2011)
also a band you'll all know and a band that has released so many albums, I'm with you is the newest edition to the collection and also has a new sound to it. another new addition to the band is their new guitarist Josh. their sound is still amazing and we will always miss John who played a huge part in the band but it's great that a band like that can after so many years still create something new. another reason why I chose this album in particular is that I went to see them live in november 2011 in manchester and it was absolutely amazing. even though I nearly passed out because of the lack of air and water I will always remember it as one of the best gigs in my life ever.

Did I Let You Know
most people will probably remember rain dance maggie but did I let you know has impressed me most from the start. it's without a doubt my favourite track on the album. I love the trumpets and josh's singing in this one.



Charlie Winston - Running Still (2011)
Charlie, well Charlie is something special isn't he. he's certainly an artist you couldn't possible compare to anyone in my opinion. he's a brit living in france and has the most special voice and the most amazing lyric writing skills too. I first heard his first single hobo on the radio a few years ago and fell in love instantly (one thing I have to thank austrian radio for). you would naively class his style as pop but it's a lot more, it's folky pop and indie and well it's just him and that's what every artist should be like really. running still is his second album which was released in france in 2011 but I only got to listen to it last year but loved it instantly. we also went to see him live in paris last september and it was possibly the best live show I will ever see. I can not wait to go and see him again sometime. brilliant artist without a doubt. 

Where Can I Buy Happiness
this is such a clever song you have to listen to the lyrics definitely. his voice is always amazing too of course but this is definitely one of the most well written songs and my favourite of the album.



The Killers - Battle Born (2012)
the killers, do I need to say more? they're definitely a band most people have heard of and you'll hear them say 'ah, yeah, mr brightside!' but no these guys from las vegas are so much more than mr brightside. they manage to stay themselves but still create something amazing and new with every album. battle born is their most recent one and wow can you believe they get better every time? there are some songs on there you would never have though they would do but listening to them it's just the perfect fit. they could do everything and still be The Killers which is what makes them amazing. I also had the chance to (very spontaniously) go and see them live in Cardiff last november which was a very impressive show and they are even better live than on record (if that's possible).

Here With Me
there are so many great songs on this album that I really couldn't decide, but this is definitely one of my favourites and it's one of those songs where you're like 'I feel exactly like that!' sometimes anyway. a beautiful and brilliant song.

also and even though this is technically cheating but also not really I want to give a honorary mention to killer's singer Brandon Flowers as he is not only the great mind behind their lyrics but has also released a solo album a few years ago and one song on there is not only really special to me anyway but will always remind me of my first time in London. I know it's not technically about me (ha!) and not even a person called Magdalena but hey, never thought there would be a song with my name out there and especially not by one of my favourite artists, so many thanks Mr Flowers!


it certainly wasn't easy to choose all those as there are so many great artists out there but I am rather happy with my collection and I hope you enjoyed it too. if there are some you haven't heard of them maybe you'd like to discover something new and if you have 23.09 minutes to spare you can even listen to all of them. but definitely the last one because this will give a sound effect to my signature. woo!

'Magdalena'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this post is part of the Blog Every Day in May series.


3 comments:

Miss Makeup Magpie said...

I love love love The Killers! They are my favourite band, and have been for about 8 years now. I love their lyrics, and their albums :D xx

Gemma | ♥ International MAC RiRi Woo giveway on my blog!

Magdalena Hannah said...

they definitely are one of the best bands ever :) thanks for your comment :) xx

Jess said...

Yes! Vampire Weekend and The Killers! Great playlist :) Jess xx
www.mismatchedknitwear.com