2 May 2013

Blog Every Day in May: Spring is Here


spring has always been my favourite season which surely isn't the most surprising thing as many people love it. I don't like winter at all because I think snow is pointless and it's just grey and cold all the time. I love it when everything is green again and you can go to the market and buy fresh things everywhere. spring is the perfect season for cooking as you can practically do everything. there's those chilly evenings when you'll still need something to warm you up a little bit and then there's those hot days when all you want is a lovely fresh salad and a piece of baguette to keep you going. it's also the time when you can have a mug of warming tea in the morning and a glass of iced tea (recipe) in the afternoon. and I surely like every excuse to have more tea (already had two as I'm writing this).

in this post I want to share with you some of my favourite (more or less) food related things about spring as well as what I'm planning to do in spring (also food related).

I am planning to
make a lot of meals using local and seasonal products
go to the market more often to buy fruit and vegetables
also I'll prepare for my move to the UK and do a lot of filling out forms stuff 


spring meals
as mentioned before I love how spring offers you loads of fresh ingredients to cook with. I eat salads all year around but in spring I do so even more because it's lovely and refreshing and surely good for my body too. of course I can not say spring meals without sharing a little recipe with you.


 
Greek Salad (recipe here)


Mediterranean Spring Vegetables with Creamy Polenta
for two
gluten free!

1 courgette
1/2  pepper (I chose green, yellow or red whatever you like)
4 strips of streaky bacon (optional, I had them lying around in the fridge)
2 cloves of garlic
3 small/1 normal tomato
thyme

100 g polenta
water (double the amount of polenta, use a mug to measure)
1 tbsp butter
100 ml milk

chop all the veg and the bacon. heat a pan with the bacon and only need
more fat/oil if needed (the bacon already has a lot)
then add the veg and the garlic and fry for about 5 minutes.
add some fresh leaves of thyme and a pinch of salt.

to cook the polenta, heat up the water in a pan and bring to a boil.
carefully stir in the polenta and keep stirring it (careful! protect your
arms and hands from lava-like polenta!) until soft. doesn't take long.
lower the heat and add the butter and milk, keep stirring then add
salt and set aside.

serve it all up and enjoy and feel like you're somewhere in the 
mediterranean (optional)



fresh herbs on the balcony
I grew up always having fresh herbs and things around me and using them for cooking. we had a huge garden when I was little and now we have a balcony full of herbs. I know now that no matter where I'll be living I'll always have to have fresh herbs around me. food and cooking just isn't the same without them. and they look lovely too.


Mr Thyme is exploring the world

doesn't he make a lovely centerpiece?


spring music
I know music technically doesn't change when seasons change but for me there are certain artists that always give me that spring/summer feeling. so I thought I'd share one of my favourites with you. hope it will make you feel just as happy and spring-y.




Magdalena.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this post is part of the Blog Every Day in May series.

9 comments:

Ruth said...

Your balcony is gorgeous! So pretty with all the herbs :)

RuthLG said...

Woah that's weird - that pic came up but it's not me!

Magdalena Hannah said...

I know it's my picture which for some reason keeps coming up. I'm really sorry. need to look into that.

jbistheinitial said...

Lovely balcony! Sadly my thyme died this winter, I need to grow some more.

crashbandicoot1979 said...

Lovely recipes, thanks for sharing :)
Your herbs look lovely, I've planted some this spring - hope they end up looking as healthy as yours! x

Just Me Leah said...

I bet your balcony smells delicious! x x

Magdalena Hannah said...

glad you liked it. I'm sure your herbs will looks and taste lovely! :) x

Magdalena Hannah said...

it does indeed! :) x

Magdalena Hannah said...

thank you. I'm sorry to hear, hope this one will ive longer :)